J. B. BARKER M.D., one of Piqua's reputable physicians and surgeons, was born in Campbell County, Kentucky, March 20, 1856, and when twelve years of age accompanied his parents to Clermont County, Ohio. Dr. Barker attended the schools of Moscow, Ohio, and after graduating from the high school, entered the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, where he was graduated in 1881. He began practice at Blue Creek, in Adams County where he remained for three and a half years. In September, 1885, he located at Fletcher, in Miami County, where, for twenty-two years, he carried on the active practice of his profession, with regret severing very many pleasant ties when his business interests led him to settle in Piqua in 1907. He is a medical man of superior qualifications and is a member of the Miami County Medical Society, the Union Clinical Society of Western Ohio, the Western Ohio Eclectic Medical Society, of which he is president, and the Ohio State Eclectic Medical Association, and the National Eclectic Medical Association. Under the late ex-President Cleveland he served as a member of the United States Board of Pension Examiners.
On March 27, 1884, Dr. Barker was married to Miss Jennie Christina Franz, of Adams County, Ohio, and they have three children, Mattie Estella, Ella Christina and Joseph Hamilton. Dr. Barker and family are members of the Presbyterian Church. Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, Odd Fellows, and Knights of Pythias.
From: Centennial History - Troy, Piqua and Miami county, Ohio and Representative Citizens by Thomas Chalmers Harbaugh
Published by Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company, Chicago 1909